Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Busy, Busy, Busy...

Well, I have to admit, our life is pretty much hoppin' right now. There are times in my life when I thought I was busy... I would love to be that 'busy' again, even if for just a couple of days!
We did find some time for some fun lately. We taught the 4 year old class for Sunday school at church Saturday night. Sunday was my birthday and we had a nice day. We went to the movies with Josh, Jonah, and Ethan and saw Fantastic 4, went to dinner at the Olive Garden with Tracy's parents, then relaxed at home. I took the boys to the zoo Monday. Sooo... we are making time to have some quality time with the kids. That is essential, regardless of whatever else we are doing.

As for the rental house, I cut out the copper water lines in the downstairs bathroom (all the sheet rock has been removed). I fabricated new lines and installed them. I completed 29 (22 the other day and seven more today) solder joints on the copper and did not have a single leak! I'm very proud of that! The room was always a 'rough' finish before, and the ceiling was never sheet rocked. In the past, the electrical was stapled to the under side of the floor joists. I would not be able to sheet rock the ceiling as is. Today, I cut all of the lines, installed junction boxes up in the floor joists, drilled holes, and ran new electrical up there. I also moved the bathroom light switch from the utility side of the room to the bath side. That will allow me to put up a new wall between the furnace/hot water heater and the bathroom. I also added a couple of electrical outlets. The idiots before us 'grabbed' power from where ever... There are four different circuits supplying power to the light and electrical outlets in this bathroom. I know this is a no brainer, but I would encourage everyone to use a multimeter and voltage proximity tester prior to doing this kind of work. The people who don't are professional electricians (who lick their fingers and touch live 120v wires to see if they are live or not), and complete morons who kill themselves or burn their house down trying to do some simple electrical work. I fall somewhere in the middle. Since I use a meter, I have never been shocked, and I know enough about electrical work (including code requirements) to not burn the place down.

I am closing the store now (financial data is downloading from POS to our financial software right now). When I'm done here, I'm going to the rental house to begin framing the new wall and the shower stall. What is more fun than shooting a framing nail gun??? I can't think of too many things.

As for the shop, it has been a good two day start. Yesterday was over $500 and over 100 customers, and today set new records with $580.62 in sales and 137 customers. Both data points are new highs! Woo Hoo!

What's that?? You ask when we sleep?? Oh, we don't do that...
I'll try getting some sleep in August when the house is done.

Gotta run.
JD

No comments: