Friday, August 24, 2007

New Studio Shot

Tracy's mom brought her some flowers today to put in vases on the cafe tables.
I decided to use one of them to continue my flower series shots for greeting cards I am going to have printed.

I have been testing myself in the studio by giving myself various challenges. For this shot, I limited myself to one studio light, and 15 minutes.
I created a deep blue 'sky' background in Photoshop and displayed it on my computer monitor. I put the flower in a mug and positioned it in front of the monitor.

I set up one Alien Bee 400 studio light with a 10 degree grid to the left of the flower. I used a small white reflector to the right side of the flower.
I set the camera up on a tripod, with 100mm f2.8 macro lens. I took two
test shots, using the results to adjust aperture and shutter speed so that the flower was properly exposed, and the deep blue color of the monitor was properly exposed.

I took the final 'keeper' 11 minutes into this exercise.
I spent about 20 minutes working with the image in Photoshop to get this:

No comments: