Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Nemo's Bucks

Well, we had another day at 105 degrees. Nobody wants to come over here for coffee with heat like that. We still exceeded our 'break even' thresh hold for the day, though. We had 129 customers, and our biggest sale of the day was over $50 by my friend Chris... That put us over the top!

We have looked at advertising costs for various publications in town and they are all incredibly expensive. We decided to 'beat the streets' around here on our own. They are the people we want to reach, anyway, as opposed to the whole city. I made up the following Nemo's Bucks:



It is difficult to see the detail at this low resolution. I designed it all from a blank slate in Photoshop, and I put little, tiny squiggley lines everywhere, just like on real money. It looks really nice at print resolution.

The back has information about our location, what we have to offer, etc...
We are going to get several thousand of them printed and plaster all the cars in the surrounding parking lots. I'm not sure several thousand is enough, but it will get us started. I would rather give away $2000 in free product than spend $2000 on a newspaper ad campaign.

I recently ordered a new computer to run our financial data server in the back room. That will free up the laptop for me to take on location for photo shoots, weddings, etc. It came with a 20" widescreen flat panel monitor by Samsung. The computer did not arrive yet, but the monitor did. We have a group meeting in the studio tomorrow and they asked if we have a DVD player available for a DVD presentation they want to play. I am going to set up another computer in the studio, with this LCD monitor for them. 20" is small when you think TV, but it is pretty large when talking about a computer monitor. I'll see how this works out for them...

My Still Life photo contest has finally arrived! It is tomorrow that 28 avid photographers will descend upon Nemo's Coffee Shop armed with their very best 8x10 print from the last three weeks. I'm looking forward to it...

Well, I am very tired and want to get my stuff done and go home to sleep. Take care everybody, and good luck to my nephew Jimmy Lutton who flew to New York today. He is the bass guitar player for a world tour kicking off in September. The singer is eMiko and she was recently signed by Sony Records. Have fun Jimmy!

Later,
JD

No comments: