Saturday, February 10, 2007

New POS Computer Build

I've been thinking about our computer needs for the shop. Here is what we will be needing:
Office server - We will use our new laptop
POS (Point of Sale) - New Build
Photo Studio - New High End Build
Kid's Room - New Dell
Marketing - JD's current Photoshop machine

When I say new build, that means a computer that I will buy parts and put together myself. The POS does not have to be a screamer, and here are the components I ordered just moments ago for that build:


I started by choosing a Micro ATX motherboard and CPU. The case is a Micro ATX Slim case and is only 3.8" high. I will build in a 4.5" shelf under the POS area to house it.

I like both Intel and AMD, but I chose an AMD processor and MB for this build because the price was right. I paid nearly $300 just over a year ago for an AMD 64 3700 San Diego core, and the one I bought today was $64 after the combo deal discount (CPU and motherboard). It is amazing how fast prices drop on these things, especially for a CPU that is so capable. Most POS systems run on a Celeron or Sempron platform (slow) so this processor will be blazing fast compared to any POS computer available for purchase. I added a solid CD burner/DVD combo drive, and Crucial Value Ram (1 GB - double the RAM most POS systems have), and a BIOSTAR GEFORCE 6100-M9 Socket 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard. I rounded the system out with an Antec case (can't do better than Antec in my opinion) and a Western Digital 160GB hard drive. You might notice that I did not list a video card, sound card, or ethernet card. Those functions are included on the Biostar motherboard. I would normally purchase discreet components for those functions (video and sound, at least), but they are not needed for a POS system. The onboard functionality will be fine. Total cost for a very solid mid-grade computer?? $365.94 Not a bad price for a fully functional, super fast POS system! This is very inexpensive compared to buying a POS dedicated computer, and it will smoke the performance of any available POS dedicated computer.

If you have never built your own computer, you should check into it. It's really not that hard, doesn't take very long, and makes you feel great when you fire it up and everything works perfect! I have built a number of computers now (both for me and for other people) and every single one has worked perfect the first time! I suppose if you fired it up and it caught on fire it would not be so satisfying!


If you are prone to catching things on fire, just stick with Dell, or call and have me build one for you...

No comments: