Thursday, March 15, 2007

Tables coming together...

I went to bed at 3:00am last night, then got up at 6:00am this morning. I headed over to the shop to check on the drywallers. They are final sanding the tape and will be spraying on the texture today. They have done a great job. I can't believe how much work they have accomplished in just a few days!

I went to my wood shop next and sanded the Canarywood/Purpleheart panel. Here are a couple of photos:

1. Table math - this is highly complex, ultra top-secret mathematics used to figure out how to make a table out of several boards. This plan is for my third table, which will be Narra and Bubinga.


2. Apron and legs - this is a shot of the Alder table apron and legs that will go with the Padauk/Maple table top. I have to go to the lumber store and pick up some table leg brackets so I can finish. I think it is going to look great!



3. Here is the panel made with Canarywood and Purpleheart. Referring to the highly complex table math above, I plan my tops so that the glued boards are symmetrical in width. There are pros and cons...

CONS - I have to figure out the best usage of a given board, as the trees do not grow and get cut in sizes that are convenient for me. As a result, I end of with excess wood strips that are 1 to 2.5 inches wide. I collect these strips, as they are valuable (at least I had to pay for this wood), and I may make something really skinny someday. Actually, the contrasting strips I am putting in my tabletops are saved strips of wood from other projects.
PROS - Well, I actually can't think of any, except that it is just how I do things.
This table top has widths of 6" x 2" x 4" x 6" x 4" x 2" x 6"



I have been wearing a respirator the last couple days. It cuts down on the red, yellow, and purple boogers, and I have fewer headaches. Some of these exotic woods are toxic and will give you a heck of a headache. Some people have actually gone into respiratory distress from breathing the sawdust.

Oh, by the way, I have never made a table before. This is kind of new to me and I am just winging it. I was really hoping I wouldn't ruin $500 worth of wood. So far, I am very pleased with how things are going. I just bought clear sanding sealer and boiled linseed oil to finish the first table. I'm excited to see how it comes out!

Well, I can't sit at the computer anymore. After three hours of sleep, this is making me drowsy. I'm fine as long as I am moving and thinking and doing something. Sitting here is not good for staying awake.

JD

1 comment:

Hawaiianryan said...

JD puts in another full weekend! Keep uo the hard work! I wish everyone was as involved in their projects as you JD. Looking at my e-mails we went from permit feb 17th to frame inspection march 9th to final electric march 30th. I'll argue our case for HVAC inspection on monday and we can get our grid ceilings complete this week and focus on finalizing our flooring and cabinet bits and peices. For such a major renovation on a shoestring budget you are looking amazing. I'll put in a much as I can to push finishing ASAP.
Thanks
R