Saturday, March 10, 2007

10 out of 351

The photo I took of my hand after doing concrete work all day finished in 10th place out of 351 entries in a Low Key theme challenge at www.dpchallenge.com!
Here is the image again (click on it to see a larger version):


On to better things...
The electricians finished their rough in this week and made their deadline of having rough in inspection completed by Friday (yesterday). We have the go-ahead to install drywall!!
The supply company showed up yesterday with a truckload of drywall. After the guys had offloaded about 25% of it, I noticed that it was all 1/2" gypsum. They are supposed to be installing 5/8" rock. I had them load it all up and they called for another truck of 5/8" board. I'm glad I caught that, instead of it being an issue after it was all hung!
I had to get our electrical engineer to change our drawings to delete the GFCI requirement for every outlet. That is required for a commercial kitchen, which we are not. It would have been significantly more expensive, as the GFCI outlet for 20/30/40 amp circuits are very expensive, and especially for the three phase circuits. When I was at Regional getting this minor change made, the plan reviewer looked at our drawings for our new 200amp panel. He started saying we cannot do it, and it is in violation of code. As it turns out, you can only have one electrical service to a structure, unless you exceed 2000 amps of service. If over 2000 total amps, you can have as many individual services as you want. This makes no sense to me, and is just one of those things in the code that causes much strife in the world. After an hour and a half of discussions, phone calls, and a bunch of craziness, they decided we can do it. Everything always seems to be touch and go with them...

Our grease trap showed up Thursday, and the plumbers came this morning to install it. I noticed two problems overall.

1- the location in the floor would put it partially under our refrigerator and freezer. Code requires it to be completely accessible. You could argue the point that the refrigerator and freezer could be moved, but the fridge weighs 800 pounds empty and would not be a fun chore. Our variance from the city requires us to open the grease trap weekly for inspection and cleaning. We have to log these activities and send the log report to CSU Wastewater quarterly. It would not be fun to move an 800 lb refrigerator weekly...

2- The thing weighs 350 pounds and should have been delivered on a pallet. Instead, it was delivered by itself and they used a forklift to pick it up by one of the 4 inch threaded fittings for the inlet. The forklift tine gouged the threads all the way from the front of the fitting to the back of the fitting in two places. The weight of the unit also ovalized the 4" fitting, rendering the entire grease trap unusable.

Solution # 1 - I had the plumbers modify their plumbing in the hole to shift the unit to the north, giving me complete open access to the unit, without issues of refrigerator and freezer placement.

Solution # 2 - I had the plumbers order a new grease trap, which will cause a week delay in getting it set. This is far better than having them try to run a 4" tap through the threads to try to fix the fitting. With enough pipe dope or teflon tape, I'm sure they could get this thing installed, but it would probably leak in a year or two. Waiting for a new one is a far better solution...

I went to the shop at 5:00 am to go over the framing one more time before drywall goes up. I found a few places that needed more support/bracing, and I fixed some twisted studs. I also pre-drilled for adding a new sink for the back room at a future date (vegetable wash sink). I installed blocking at the top left of the soffet to support a cctv mounting bracket. I'm going to install the monitor for the four security cameras to the top of the soffet, facing the customers. I want people to know they are being monitored and recorded, as a crime deterrent. I also pre-drilled to run a Cat5 cable from the CCTV to our DSL router, so that we can see what is going on in the shop from home or on vacation.
I also measured the rough openings on all of the door frames this week. I found two door openings that were 3 1/2" too narrow. The men's bathroom requires a 36" door by code, but the rough opening was only 35", so we had to re-frame it. The storage room was going to be a 36" door, but was roughed in at 35" as well. We are not going to change that, and will install a 32" door instead.

We are going to need some 30" x 30" tables. I refuse to buy furniture from a typical furniture store anymore. It is mostly all garbage, being veneer covered MDF or particleboard. I went to CO Lumber, which sells domestic and exotic hardwoods, as well as pre-made, unfinished furniture. They have a solid wood 32" x 32" Alder table for $140. I bought a 12' long by 12" wide plank of African Padauk, as well as some Alder to build a table for $150. It will be so much nicer, and we will be able to advertise them for sale in the shop.

Ryan and Rob spent this last week building our cabinets. They cut and assembled the main boxes, and are continuing work on the doors this week.

We are required by the Health Dept to install a 12,000 watt hot water heater. All the pricing I could find was $1200 to $3000 for a commercial unit (way more than we had planned to spend on a water heater). I finally found a company that has a 12kw unit for $550. I went to pick it up yesterday with no problems (they loaded it on my truck). When I was unloading it at my shop, I noticed that it did not seem tall enough. This unit was 48" tall and 20.5" in diameter. The one I ordered was supposed to be 59" tall by 18" in diameter. I then noticed that it said 4500 watts on the box. All wrong... After lots of phone tag, I finally got it worked out. It is a dual element heater and all I have to do is pull out the 4500 watt elements and install 6000 watt elements. I wanted the 18" unit to save some space, but decided it is not worth taking this one back. I'll just swap out the elements and call it good.

I picked up our menu boards from the powder coating place yesterday. They look great, but after $600 in material, laser cutting, and powder coating, I noticed that they did not have the 1" square tube steel welded to the back of it. This is to offset it from the wall and to allow for hanging them. Now we have to figure out a solution. Welding it on now will destroy the powder coat finish, so that is not an option. This is kind of frustrating, and makes things more difficult.





Enough for now...
Take care,
JD

No comments: