Thursday, March 8, 2007

Electrical Drama is Over!

The electrical building inspector came to the site yesterday and reviewed our plans with Rogers electric. They had some significant concerns, which seems kind of crazy to me since we had it engineered and the plans were reviewed, approved, and issued for construction by Regional Bldg Dept. It is amazing how inefficient and inconsistent they are.
In any case, the electrical inspector reviewed our ideas and gave us the go-ahead. We already had the go-ahead, but if we proceeded, finished, and then failed inspection because the inspectors and the plan-reviewers are not on the same page... Well, that would have been bad.
We did notice that the electrical engineer had classified us as a 'restaurant' instead of a coffee shop. It seems like a silly thing, but it would cost several thousand more dollars to install the exact same equipment if we are a restaurant. Our engineers had to modify our drawings and I picked them up yesterday afternoon. I will be walking the changes through Regional tomorrow, for an additional $50.

I spent most of the day at the shop by myself today. We had a framing inspection that passed, with a few minor issues that needed to be corrected. I spent several hours fixing those issues myself, so that Ryan did not have to divert resources away from building our cabinets. I installed framing in the bathroom walls to support the ADA compliant grab bars. I also installed metal strapping over areas of plumbing installation to prevent people from putting screws or nails in the wall that would penetrate the plumbing lines. I also had to install additional diagonal bracing from the top of our 10' walls to the bar joists in the overhead. This stabilizes the walls with regard to lateral movement. I also cut the sole plate out of several door locations, removed some temp supports for walls and the soffet, and I framed the wall higher behind the condiment bar location. As it was, condiment bar items could fall off on the floor behind the half wall. I build an eight inch high border around the condiment bar area to prevent that from happening.

Tracy has been doing a great deal of work on our menu board strips. She is painting them and doing the lettering on them. I think they are going to look great!

Tomorrow is:
Framing inspection
Wrap up electrical rough-in, for inspection on Friday
Go buy a hot water heater (12kw commercial unit)
Go pay Neil Dana for our metal fabrication (menu boards)
Walk GFCI electrical change through Regional
Buy sink faucet for dual basin sink
Buy and install 1" thick foam insulation (storefront window panels)
Contact sign company and get quotes for sign work
Contact a couple of potential employees

No comments: