Monday, February 25, 2008

Nemo's Update February 25, 2008

We will have been open for 10 months tomorrow! Quite a few places have opened in Colorado Springs and had to close within six months! We have beaten that disaster... One of those places was the Soup Nazi franchise from Seinfeld. God willing, we will keep plugging away...

We had a couple of semi-famous people in the shop on Saturday. A local recipient of an Extreme Home Makeover house (Yes, the Ty Pennington show) was in, along with an author of children's books who has national success and acclaim! I meant to look up her books and post them here, but I forgot to. I will do that soon...

Tracy and I interviewed three people today, and we have three more interviews tomorrow. All three individuals today were very nice and would be good hires. One of them really stood out as having a magnetic personality. We are really trying to hire well this time. We want to find someone who will be responsible, do things well, but also have great interactions with our customers. I think we found that person, but we still have three more solid individuals to interview tomorrow. We may need to hire two people instead of one. This might work out well...

My job at Ft Carson is becoming very demanding. There just aren't enough hours in the day right now. I need to be working 60 hours per week there in order to keep up, but I only have 40 hours to give. I really need a time machine pretty badly. If I got to the end of the work day and needed more time, I could just go back to noon again. I could also use one to get more sleep. I could dial it back a few hours before going to sleep and get a solid six or seven hours, instead of a not so solid four or five.

Tracy really wants me to begin marketing my photography and getting that business up and running. She would rather I replace my Intel income with photography. I know that I can build that business over time, but it is difficult to leave a job that pays great in order to begin building a new income stream from scratch. One of my photographer friends who is a professional suggested that I start scheduling appointments and contract them out to her or other photographers we know until I can step in and do it. That would start building the business even though I don't have the time to be there. Another thing we can do is take out a business loan and pay ourselves from that capital investment while building the photography. With an in-house studio, it should not be difficult to build photography sales to $4000-5000 per month. That would be an average of one wedding and 12 portrait sessions per month. That is just one session every other day...

I have to have our storage space cleared out by Friday. I am going to start working on it Thursday. Nothing like a deadline to get you motivated!

I need to get busy... Talk to you later.
JD

No comments: