Sunday, February 3, 2008

Customers do not like modified hours

One thing we have learned since we have been open is that customers do not like it when you modify your hours. We started staying open on Sunday mornings from 9:00am to 1:00pm about a month ago. We started building sales, and saw an increase in the number of customers from week to week. We had plans to go to Walking With Dinosaurs at the World Arena last Sunday. We closed the shop at 11:00am in order to get to the show on time. I have been here today for a little over two hours and we have had one customer. I noticed the same thing last summer when we modified our weekend hours to support a camping trip, or other family events we had going on. Anytime we modify our normal hours for any reason, business dies off for a few weeks. There are times that we can't avoid doing so right now, but it seems to hurt for a week or two...

I did a series of formal portraits yesterday for the staff of a local church. They are going to use the shots for their website. It felt good to take some photos, as I have not had time to do so lately. I have a meeting next Saturday to go over my wedding package plans and pricing with a couple. That wedding is scheduled for August. Once my Intel scope is complete, I will go back to actively marketing my photography. I don't think it will be difficult at all to add $2000 to $4000 per month in revenues through the spring and summer. Wedding season is coming! I just have to be patient for now, though. Guaranteed income is more important right now than 'potential' income from the studio. I know I can market the photography and grow that business, but I like getting two paychecks a week right now...

Gotta run...
JD

No comments: