Saturday, December 30, 2006

Taziki Sauce

Tracy and I are working on our menu items. We want to be a coffee shop, but due to a lack of food service in the area, we are also going to offer a few sandwich selections each day for lunch. We want to have a Greek style wrap or pita, so I made Taziki sauce today! It came out soooo good. I made two batches, one with lime juice and one with balsalmic vinegar. We both liked the lime juice version the best. I put taziki sauce and feta cheese in a pita, then put it in the toaster oven for several minutes. The feta melted a little, and the pita got a little crispy. It was very good. Tracy also put some turkey and avacado in hers.
Here is what I put in the taziki sauce:

Plain yogurt (I couldn't find any Greek yogurt, made with sheep or goat milk)
Italian (or European) cucumber, peeled and seeded
Regular cucumber, peeled and seeded
Chopped sweet onion
Fresh dill
Sea salt
Freshly crushed garlic cloves
Juice from half a lime, or two tablespoons of balsalmic vinegar

If you get bored and want to make some, it is very good and not difficult at all.
Today was just a quick experiment, but I'm going to make pita sandwiches soon with chicken grilled in rosemary, thyme, and marjoram; plus kalamata olives, taziki sauce, feta cheese, and a little shredded lettuce. I can almost smell it already! I don't have a recipe, so I'll just wing it, but I expect it to be amazing!

Well, we are off to church soon. Tonight is our night to teach the 4's and 5's class. They are much easier than the 3rd graders we've been teaching for the last six or seven months.

I hope everyone is doing great!
JD

I just noticed the image glitch has been fixed. Here is the layout I'm working on (click on the image to see a larger version of it):

No comments: