Monday, December 4, 2006

Synesso, or La Marzocco?????

Several posts ago, I indicated that we were going to go with a Synesso espresso machine. It is still our first choice, closely followed by a La Marzocco Linea. I spoke with a rep from Maric Beverage Systems (local vendor) and they have a used La Marzocco three group, and a Swift grinder. These two units sell for approximately $15,000 new. He said we could buy them after he has rebuilt them for around $4000-5000. We really love the Synesso machine, but if we can save $8000-10,000 of our start-up capital by going with the rebuilt units... well, you do the math. I will go look at the units and try them out when Maric has them ready...
I made significant progress this weekend on framing. I moved all of the electrical conduit from the firewall and framed several of the openings and half walls. The place is starting to take shape! I'll post some photos later today.
Tracy has started writing our employee manual. It will include job descriptions for the barista and shift supervisor positions. She is also writing our mission statement and service policies. She will also be working on our menu this week. We need to finalize what products we will offer, then document the recipes for each item, for each size. Tracy and I know how to make everything, but we need a documented product recipe book for new employees. One of our service criteria is a consistent, quality product. We want each item to taste the same everytime it is made. I have been to shops where they just wing it each time, and the same drink tastes considerably different depending on who makes it, and usually not for the better...
I need to call the company who is structurning our LLC. I could have filled out the forms and filed everything for approx $100, but we chose to pay $500 to a professional company that files LLC and Corporation charters, and files the paperwork for EIN's, sales tax, etc... Our reasoning was that we want this done correctly, with no worries of mistakes that might have significant tax implications later. The company has completely botched the process, with errors and ommissions on almost every form. I notified them last week that we want to terminate our agreement/interaction based upon poor performance. They refused to refund our money, so I need to do battle with them this week. What a pain. If I wanted amateur results with lots of mistakes, I could have stumbled through it all myself.

No comments: