Monday, December 4, 2006

New Progress Photos

Here are some panoramas of the new framing. As you can see, the electrical has been demo'd and relocated, the openings are framed, including the half walls. I am starting at the front and removing drywall and electrical, reframing as I work my way to the back. Once all of the framing is complete, I will install new drywall. I am hiring a subcontractor to do the final tape, mud, and texture and then we will do our own painting.







As you can see in the photos, the spaces have drop ceilings with flourescent lighting. We are not super happy about it, but we are stuck with it for now. I wanted to demo the drop ceiling, but the plenum above the ceiling (10') to the roof (at 14') is not insulated in any way. The drop ceiling has roll insualtion on top of it to keep the heated space insulated. It would come out with the drop ceiling, and the roof has no insulation at all. Also, the plenum is very dirty (40 years worth) and would take an enormous effort to clean it prior to painting. I like the open air look with exposed structural girders, ductwork, etc. Our situation does not allow it without a major investment of time and money. Our plan is to remove the flourescent lighting, install recessed can lighting, and paint all of the drop ceiling. It won't be optimal, but it will be clean and presentable.

No comments: