Saturday, April 12, 2008

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!

For the second time in a few months, an automatic Windows Update security patch has corrupted the Microsoft .net Framework files on the computer running our Point of Sale and Quickbooks software. The first time this happened, I had to pull the computer, install another computer, and install QB Pro and QB Point of Sale, then do restore from backups to get the system up and running.
Tonight I went online to QB forums and found numerous posts about QB not working after the recent auto Windows security update (on April 10). One of the posts had a link to the solution. It was to deinstall MS.net FRamework 2.0 and then reinstall. If you are not able to uninstall it manually, there was a link to a MS .net Framework utility. I was unable to ininstall manually, so I used the utility. I then spent 2 1/2 hours trying to reinstall Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5. After what seems like forever, I got them all installed, but QB still will not work. I then looked for my installation disks for QB and QB POS and could not find them anywhere here at the shop. They must be at home, but I can't remember. I specifically remember putting both software packages in the safe. I may have taken them home with the first computer that had this problem. Anyway, I have spent over three hours on this and have not been able to get QB to open.

Finally, I remembered that my laptop has QB and QB Pos installed, and it is out in the Jeep! I brought it in, replaced the POS computer with the laptop, connected all of the equipment (cash drawer, receipt printer, touch screen monitor, etc). I am now restoring the QB file from my Zip drive. I will then have to restore QB POS from the Zip drive, then synchronize the two.

So... Computers suck, and Intuit software sucks even worse.

Lessons Learned:
1. Get an abacus for your point of sale. You will get more sleep that way.
2. If you do use a computer for your Point of Sale, get a POS software that actually works well. That will cost about $6000.
3. If you are stuck using something affordable like Intuit software, buy a bottle of Motrin. You will need it.
4. Make CD copies of your installation software for QB and QBPOS. Be sure to keep the installation serial numbers with the copies. Keep the copies on site. Place the original copies of the software somewhere safe.
5. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS keep a backup copy of your financial software and point of sale software on a Zip drive (USB flash drive), or some other external storage solution. Some places are now offering backup of files at online FTP sites. I have not gone that route.
6. If you have a problem with your Intuit software, try to find a solution somewhere other than Intuit supported sites.
7. Go to the doctor and get medication for high blood pressure.
8. Don't sleep. Stay up all night screaming at your computer, while you use every ounce of restraint you can muster to keep from smashing your computer.
9. Go buy an abacus.

I hate Quickbooks software.

Here is a snapshot of the live music tonight. They did a great job, and we will surely have them back again sometime soon...



I am so stinking mad... and super tired.
Later,
JD

No comments: