Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Lots of progress

We have been making lots of progress and I will post some new photos soon.
I have been working until 11:00pm and as late as 2:30am pretty much every night. The kids room is pretty much finished with the exception of painting the base molding.
I installed the white oak flooring in the Studio last weekend (til midnight Friday, 10:00am to 2:30am Saturday, and 6:00pm to midnight on Sunday) and it really looks great! Ryan was working on installing the base trim in there today. It just needs final paint, and to have a fire rated door installed. We received a quote of $509 for a fire rated door today, but Ryan has a friend who has one from a previous job that he might be able to give to us. That would be a huge help!
We are supposed to get our countertops by Friday, but I have a gut feeling that the guy is going to be late on those. Don't ask me why, but it is just what I am thinking...
We have equipment being delivered by Allied (all refrigeration, freezer, ice maker, microwave, food warmer, toaster, etc. on Wednesday next week. I still need to set up a date for the Maric package delivery.
The bathrooms are functional! All they need are ADA grab bars, toilet seats, and mirrors.
The cafe is really looking great. Most of the woodwork is finished, the tile is pretty much finished, and I am installing the wood floors today. I got started, but it was very difficult to work with the electricians and ceiling grid guys there. I'm going back tonight at 7:00pm and will probably be there until 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning. The problem with working so late is that I have much more to do the next day, and the next day, and the next day. I never get to catch up on sleep. It is more than worth it, though. Tracy's birthday is April 26, and I'd love to give her a completed coffee shop for her birthday!
I've posted a couple of photos of Rob doing various things during our construction. I have to compliment him (and Ryan) on the job he has done laying tile. We had intended to install tile in the bathrooms, the bar area, and the back room only. We ended up doing the bathrooms, the closet, both hallways, wrapping around the front of the bar and into the bar area, as well into the hallway from the bar towards the front door, and in the cafe seating area near the half wall, where the condiment bar and a couple of tables are going. I spent three days on my knees doing wood flooring and they hurt sooo much. Rob has been on his knees doing tile work for over three weeks. He has done some amazing work, and he deserves a huge compliment!

Tracy has been very busy as well. She has been working with vendors to get our initial orders in place, as well as coordinating our staff. We conducted interviews and hired five people! Tracy is putting together our company policies, recipes, employee handbook, etc. We are having an orientation Saturday morning for our new staff. Tracy (and Ethan) have also been a great help at the shop. Tracy has been cleaning and sealing tile work, scraping crud/drywall off the concrete floors in preparation for tile, painting the shelves in our store room, hand rubbing oil into some of the woodwork, etc, etc...

Well, I want to blog more than I have been, but every minute here is time away from getting the work done so we can open the shop. I'm taking photos every day or two, and I'll catch up on some of the details later...
No sleep for the weary...
JD

No comments: