Sunday, April 1, 2007

Long time, no blog...

Sorry it has been so long since I have made an entry. We have been completely swamped. I will try to recount some of the key issues over the last two weeks, and follow with a few photos. Too much has happened to give narration on everything, but I'll hit some of the highlights, and lowlights...

We were aiming to open the second week in April. We were marching towards that, but slowly came to the realization that we weren't going to make it. We were in the process of taking applications, setting up interviews with people, establishing timelines with vendors for perishable items, setting up equipment installation support from our equipment vendors, etc. Basically, we were at the point of making some time critical decisions, and the construction was not supporting our schedule. Tracy and I went through a great deal of stress as we 'encouraged' our subcontractors to get finished up. We caused them some stress, as well as Ryan. Basically, we had a lot of drama a couple of weeks ago. As a result, we pushed our opening back to the last week in April, which seems to be achievable at this point. We also decided to open with laminate countertops instead of concrete countertops. Custom formed concrete countertops are amazing, but Ryan lets them cure for 30 days before taking them out of the forms and beginning the grinding/polishing process. We discussed installing some temporary countertops, and following up with concrete in a month or two. For now, we have ditched that idea to relieve Ryan of the labor intensive process of getting them done. We would still like to go to concrete as some point in the future, but that is on hold for now. We received a bid from another sub for laminate tops and it came in at about $2000 for fabrication and installation. Ryan and I could make them ourselves for around $1000, but we have so many other projects to devote our time to. We are going to hire the sub and let him handle the entire countertop issue....

The plumbers (Robert and Wayne) came and set our grease trap, hot water heater, and mop sink. The grease trap was sub grade by an inch and a half, so we had to get a floor grate to go over the area. To have a floor grate cut to dimension from new stock was going to be about $350. We have gotten to the point in our construction budget where every dollar counts, so I went to some scrap metal yards and found a piece of floor grate for $30. I used a Sawzall to cut it to our dimensions. I bought a low end pressure washer from Home Depot and was thoroughly disgusted with it. The floor grate has about 1/4" thick coating of oily, greasy dirt and grime. The pressure washer didn't do a thing to it. Our garden hose has more pressure than this thing did. I took it back for a full refund. DO NOT EVER BUY A CHEAP PRESSURE WASHER!! You will be very disappointed!

I've been working with Ryan on our cabinet work and trim details. Ryan built our cabinets, and Tracy and I have been hand rubbing them with Linseed oil. I had my reservations to follow Ryan's advice to use Linseed Oil over poly, but I'm very happy now that we did. The Linseed oil really brings out the warmth of the wood, and really highlights the character of the wood grain. Once again, Ryan came through with solid advice based upon his own experience. If you need any high end cabinet or custom finish carpentry done, Ryan Thompson is your man. I can't say enough about his talent, skill, and creativity.

OK, I am very tired, and I'm getting sleepy. On to the photos:



Mark Garner has nearly completed the ceiling work. We are just waiting for the final HVAC inspection (called in for tomorrow April 2) and then we can close up the ceiling!



Ryan and Rob had to work another project last week. I thought about pouring the concrete around the grease trap myself. I was concerned about building the form correctly to allow a correct fit for the floor grate, as well as leaving full access to the grease trap top and the cleanout port (the round circle). I ended up waiting and Ryan did the form. We went through about 30 bags of cement for this pour, and it came out perfect.Ryan must keep pixie dust up his sleeve because it seems that everything he touches comes out just right. When he does make a mistake, he always knows how to work it to make it alright...



Since we are draining the hot water heater overpressure line into the mop sink instead of a floor drain, the plumbing inspector required us to raise the heater at least 12 inches, and it could not be a platform made of wood. This was a concrete project I was willing to take on without any help. I made a 24" x 24" x 13" high concrete block for the hot water heater to sit on. Nice work, eh??
Wayne had this $600 commercial mop sink left over from a previous job. It sat in his side yard at home for a year or so, which made his wife kind of mad. He didn't move it because it weighs about 250 pounds. He gave it to us for free to make his wife happy...



I can't even begin to count how many times I've gone to Home Depot over the last several months, not to mention CO Lumber, Lowes, Allied Restaurant Supply, Woodcraft, my woodshop, etc, etc. I could not be doing all of this without my trusty '69 Chevy. I bought it in 1998 and it starts everytime I get in it, no matter what. Well, except for once a month or so ago... My alternator went out, but we don't have the money to get it fixed right now. I just have to charge the battery every four or five days. It does OK as long as I don't have to have the lights on for long, or run the windshield wipers much, or run the heater fan, etc. I'm looking forward to getting open and generating some revenues so I can take care of a few things. Opening a new business is a roller coaster ride in so many ways, and finances can be very stressful. Everything seems to cost more than expected, take longer than expected, etc. Sometimes you just have to wear jeans with holes in them instead of buying new ones, or charge your battery every few days instead of buying a new alternator...



Ryan thought natural slate would look great in the shop, and I wasn't so sure. When I looked at the slate, it all seemed gray with some very minor color variations, and lots of visible defects. I trusted Ryan's judgement and I am so pleased with how the tile looks. It is amazing once it is cleaned up and sealed. The colors really stand out after the sealer is applied! As long as I keep listening to Ryan, we will have a great looking shop in the end!



This cabinet box is going to be wall mounted, up high, over the back bar counter. The top portion will have doors, and the lower portion will be open cubby storage. All of our cabinet work and trim/woodwork is being finished with hand-rubbed Linseed Oil. Tracy and I have spent hours and hours rubbing oil into the wood for various items in the shop. Tracy was able to drop Ethan off at a friends and come over and help this day. She has been behind the scenes through most of the construction, but she has been a huge help with some of this type of work!



Ryan brought over the boxes for the pastry case and the triangular retail shelves. That'll be four coats of Linseed oil, please...



This is a shot from the bar area, looking towards the front left of the store. The cabinets on the walls are retail merchandise displays. The upper cabinets are to be open faced, and the lowers are to have doors. I will be building a Padauk and Maple panel to go on top of the lower cabinet. We are considering not putting doors on the lowers, and letting them be additional open retail display, instead of locked merchandise/inventory storage.





One thing that absolutely cannot be overlooked during the planning phases is adequate storage. We are going to have lots of boxes of lids, cups, paper goods, coffee beans, flavored, syrups, condiments, etc, etc. We have a storage room and I am building shelves in there. These photos show some of the raw materials, and one set of shelves partially completed...



This is Ryan working on the Padauk and Maple top cap for the half wall. If I had the energy right now, I would put a super hero cape on him in Photoshop. If you can't tell from previous entries, I have a great deal of respect for Ryan as a person, not to mention his talents!
All superheros need a sidekick...
Here is a shot of Rob working on the bathroom tile. He also did most of the painting, much of the original demo, framing, and just about everything else in the shop...



Well, I am just plain worn out. I'm sure I have missed a great number of details over the last couple of weeks. I'll try to make more frequent blog entries from this point on. Take care and God bless!
JD

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW - what an amazing project! I found your blog through FM forums and can completely appreciate what you're going through. We've just spent 8 weeks here in the UK opening a photography studio (nothing like the scale of your coffee shop/studio) and it's been seriously tough. We did a load of the work ourselves and have had the same kind of stress trying to open to a schedule that we set ourselves, eventually having to put back the opening by a couple of weeks. Hats off to you both, you deserve a medal and a great future in what you're working toward. Best wishes!

Morgan

Anonymous said...

Let us know when you have your grand opening. Many Blessings for your new endeavor with Nemo's!