Monday, November 27, 2006

Let the demolition begin!

We signed our lease on Wednesday November 22! We are now free and clear to tear the place up! One of the two spaces was remodeled in the last several years and is clean. The adjacent space is downright nasty... I have removed the asbestos floor tiles, but much work remains to be done just to get it into a condition where you might begin to think it could be an occupiable space. I spent most of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday over there, along with help from Jim (father-in-law), Tracy, and the kids.
We finished removing the internal walls in the first space, removed all of the carpet (what a pain! commercial carpet glued down to the concrete slab), demo'd drywall from the firewall separating the two spaces, etc. I began moving the electrical in the wall where our openings are going to be. Do you realize how much wire costs these days? A 1000' spool of 12/2 with ground Romex is $268 at Home Depot. My electrician friend returned my call just minutes before I started cutting some of the Romex and informed me that I have to use aluminum clad flex in a commercial space. I was literally within 10 minutes of not being able to return the Romex! I traded the Romex spool for 100' of flex, along with new connectors. I will need much more than that overall, but 100' will allow me to move the electrical components that are currently in the way.
I also bought lumber to frame the openings between the two spaces and will begin framing once I've moved the electrical.
I also demo'd the storefront window display units and cabinets in the adjacent space, and removed the asbestos floor tiles that were beneath them. Does anyone need six large sheets of tempered glass???
Our hardwood flooring will be delivered tomorrow. Luckily, our property manager gave us another empty space close by to use as a storage unit. It will make things much easier having a 1000 sq ft 'warehouse' within 50' of our space.
I took advantage of Black Friday to buy some things we need for the shop. I bought a laser printer for $50 after rebates, as well as several components I need to build a high end computer for the photo studio. I bought two computer desks and office chairs at Staples on Wednesday. I don't like to buy MDF/particle board furniture, but these were on clearance and I couldn't pass up the pricing! One was marked down from $149 to $19, the other $89 to $9!
I also bought a small refrigerator (dorm size) for the shop. It will more than pay for itself over 2-3 months of construction. Stocking it with food and drinks will be much cheaper than buying meals when I get hungry...
The kids have had a great time smashing walls with hammers and crowbars. There is nothing like a little destruction to light up their faces! I just hope they don't try it at home!
I took some photos this weekend, and will post some later...
JD

No comments: