Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Is the Economy Melting Down?

Well, that is a really great question. I've never gone a day in my life where I had to worry about a meal, a car payment, or anything else, really. Economy fluctuations were always going on, but it really didn't affect us much. Now that Tracy and I have a small business, we are very concerned about where things are headed. It seems like it just gets worse and worse every six weeks or so. As bad as last weeks new was, and this week's band-aid approach to fixing it, I just wonder what is around the corner. Heading into the Great Depression, the stock market crashed in October 1929. Banks didn't fail until three or four years later. We are in a situation now where banks are failing, resulting in stock market fluctuations. What does that mean? I don't know for sure, but I do know that events in our world today are unprecedented, at least during my lifetime. My gut feelings tell me we have not seen the worst. I also believe that our enemies are slowly conspiring to take action. Russia has been performing military maneuvers in conjunction with Venezuela and speaking of installing missile systems in Cuba again. They also want to claim the Arctic to the north of us. Iran is doing its thing, and China is a sleeping giant. I keep my eyes on world news and pick up small bits of information all over the place. Any one story is just a data point, but when compiled altogether, I see an abstract movement, an alignment going on that is potentially going to align a number of countries against us and against Western Civilization in general. Is anybody out there watching? Is our government too busy trying to prevent an economic meltdown? I traded gas guzzlers for efficient cars over the last couple of years. I have also started eating leftovers and mending clothing instead of buying new. I believe we are at a time in our culture when people are going to have to alter life styles and go back to the way things were... At least make a move in that direction somewhat. It will be interesting to see how things pan out...

As for Nemo's, sales have been a little bit slower. We have not seen much of a decrease in sales, but it is there. Is it an anomaly, or are things about to crash and burn? No way of knowing, I guess... We will keep working hard and doing our best. Keep us in your prayers...

Thanks,
JD

No comments: